The AHP Homeownership Center Homebuyer Education Program
In-Person Education Program
AHP's in-person education program includes a combination of classroom and individual advisement and meets bank and agency homebuyer education requirements:
- Step 1: Attend our HomeBuyer 101 Orientation program which provides an introduction to the homebuying process, home purchase team members, mortgage qualifying and the importance of credit. Learn about downpayment assistance programs.
- Step 2: After attending the orientation, receive your invitation to meet with housing advisor Sandi Santoro to create your specific homeownership plan. Enroll in downpayment programs, review your credit, and develop a spending plan to save money for your home purchase. If your credit history prevents you from qualifying for good mortgage products, you may receive an invitation to attend our Money Strategies class where you'll receive specific tips on negotiating old debt.
- Step 3: When you are ready to shop for a home, attend our comprehensive Homebuyer Education Workshop. This In-person classroom workshop is held on Saturdays 9am-2pm six times per year. These classes are taught by experienced, HUD approved homeownership advisors as well as volunteer mortgage lenders, real estate agents, and home inspectors. AHP's workshop is based on a nationally recognized curriculum with many Capital Region specific forms and examples. Obtain a Homebuyer Education Certificate of Completion that meets the requirements of lenders, agencies, and the First Home Club Matched Savings Program. If you are in the First Home Club, we recommend that you take the class five months prior to the end of your matched savings term. Fee: $70, includes course manual and refreshments. Click here for schedule and registration.
Online Education Options
AHP offers two quality options for online education. In both cases, AHP requires that households combine the online education with an individual session with our homeownership advisor so that you can learn more about New York State specific issues and receive a personal review of your purchase.
Online Education Offered by eHome America plus Individual Advisement
- eHome America's online education program is now approved by the First Home Club when taken in conjunction with an Individual Advisement session. eHome America is based on the NeighborWorks America's Realizing the American Dream curriculum and meets the National Industry Standards for homebuyer education.
- Visit AHP's page on the eHome website to register for the class: eHome online education. The course fee is $99 and includes the fee for the individual session. The course takes approximately 8 hours to complete.
- After you complete the on-line course, meet with our expert homeownership advisor to review your credit report to strengthen your score, understand different mortgage options, and get answers to any questions you may have about the home purchase process. To schedule a convenient time, please contact AHP and let us know you are scheduling a follow-up appointment to the eHome course. You will receive your certificate at the in-person appointment.
Online Education Offered by Framework™ plus Individual Advisement
- Framework provides all the facts you need to navigate every step of the buying process. And you can learn when, where, and how you like. It even works on your smartphone.
- To get started, visit Framework. If you’d like to learn more first, please watch the short overview video below. The course fee is $75.
- Framework meets many lenders’ requirements for homebuyer education, but check with yours to make sure an online course is acceptable.
- After you complete the course, combine on-line education with one in-person consultation with our expert homeownership advisor. Review your credit report to strengthen your score, understand different mortgage options, and get answers to any questions you may have about the home purchase process. Schedule a convenient time after you have completed the on-line class. Fee: $25. Please contact AHP and let us know you are scheduling a follow up appointment to the Framework™ course.