HomeSave is a fair lending initiative that helps homeowners prevent and solve problems with delinquent or costly mortgages. Thanks to our many HomeSave partners, we offer homeowners in the Capital District a wide range of resources.
- Foreclosure prevention counseling
- Watch this video to learn about foreclosure and your options. (If you have trouble with this video link, you may read the presentation slides as a PDF file.)
- Call (518) 434-1730 to schedule an appointment with AHP. Visit the HomeSave website to find a counselor near you.
- Click here for a checklist of documents you will need to bring to your first appointment.
- Act now if you want to try to keep your home.
- Understand the process summarized on this chart (PDF) from our friends at NEDAP.
- Independent Foreclosure Review - HomeSave can help you determine if you qualify for an Independent Foreclosure Review . If you were in foreclosure in 2009 and 2010 and believe you suffered financial injury, you may be eligible for compensation or other remedy. For eligibility information and answers to frequently asked questions visit www.IndependentForeclosureReview.com. To see the Request for Review forms and instructions on how to complete them, click here. If you believe you are eligible, call 1-888-952-9105 to receive a form with a bar code unique to you.
- Legal assistance through Legal Aid of NNY and partner agencies - If you have received a summons and complaint from the lender’s attorney, call (518) 462-6765 to obtain legal assistance.
- FHA - Borrowers may have special options to avoid foreclosure. AHP staff can help you pursue options detailed in HUD's booklet "How to Avoid Foreclosure".
- Workshops - We can help you learn how to hire a contractor, keep your home, and avoid predatory loans. Offered by AHP staff and counseling program partners throughout the region. Click here to see AHP's workshop schedule.
- Education and Assistance - Public policy education and technical assistance in partnership with the Empire Justice Center.
- Foreclosure Links - Important links with valuable information:
- Glossary of foreclosure terms (PDF) from our friends at NEDAP.
- Saving Your Home from Foreclosure audio/video from the NYSBA People's Law School offers tips for homeowners.
- "Hope Now" telephone counseling at (888) 995-HOPE or www.hopenow.com
- NYS Banking Department information: http://banking.state.ny.us/hetpcaym.pdf (PDF).
Having trouble getting information from your loan servicer? Try a "RESPA Qualified Written Request" Click here for a sample.